"queer" is a slur and you shouldn’t use it to describe a whole group even if you’re reclaiming it for yourself
I don’t call myself a queer activist because I am not queer. Why is that such a difficult concept? I don’t align my sexual identity with ‘queerness’ because I’m not comfortable reclaiming that slur.
When you’re an ‘ally’, whatever opinions you align yourself with in the community, don’t matter at all. Being an ally isn’t about being verbal or developing opinions on oppression, it’s about calling out intolerance within your own community- not ours. When you walk into our safe spaces, and you sit down and open your mouth, I’d like you to reconsider, unless your perspective has been asked. When you think your opinions on the oppressed community that you ally yourself with matter, I’d also like you to reconsider, because never once did we ask you to ponder the dimensions of our oppression, we can do that all on our own and we have.
The three Cs of allyship are all you need.
Consider- your role as an oppressor, and all that you do, actively or passively, as an oppressor.
Correct- all and any behavior that has been deemed as oppressive, and continue to pass that correction onto anyone else who has exhibited that same behavior.
Continue- the first two steps, always and actively, because consideration and correction are all that an ally can successfully do to better themselves.
Slurs are not oppressive because they are offensive, they are oppressive because slurs by nature of being slurs draw upon certain power dynamics to remind their target of his/her/their vulnerability in a certain relation to power and as an extension of that, to threaten violence and exploitation of that vulnerability.
- Do not forget Michael Brown
- Do not forget how the media dehumanized him and tried to justify his murder
- Do not forget how peaceful protests were painted as savage riots
- Do not forget police armed with military grade weapons terrorized and arrested black civilians
- Do not forget Darren Wilson being awarded over $200,000 in fundraiser donations for murdering an unarmed black child
- Do not forget that this system was not built to defend us, but to control us
- Do not forget Ferguson